Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Of Superficial Matters

You know the saying 'Feed a Fever, Starve a Cold?' Well, inadvertently I ended up starving the cold and now I actually need to gain some weight. Which is very rare for a female in this society to actually want to do, I know, but being 5'5" and under a three digit weight is really kind of unhealthy. American advertising and fashion models have not completely brainwashed me, which should be celebrated!

I don't talk to people about it, but I find talking about any aspect of my appearance unsettling. I know (as I've been told) that I am by no means overweight or ugly. And I think that in order to have a healthy self esteem people should be told about their good qualities. But I always get uncomfortable when people point out things like my weight or appearance (in good ways).

This is what runs through my mind:
I think about my weight far more often than I'd like. So maybe fashion models HAVE brainwashed me, slightly. Dammit, they've won! But I think about it because I have seen what happens to my family members when they stop taking care of themselves. And it's not pretty. It's just pretty... big.

And also, I modeled for a bit while I was in high school. And that's something that I regret. Because it's hard enough being a teenager. But modeling is not cut out for the weak. And I was told to lose some weight to get more jobs and did I ever take that to heart. I was by no means fat! In fact, it makes me angry that companies tell things like that to little girls! And what kills me is that even now, when I step on the scales, I always check to see if I am under a certain number.

What it really boils down to is this: outer beauty only lasts while we're young. I don't want to keep fighting this battle and eventually warring with food by the time I'm 41. I don't want to miss being told that I'm pretty and end up some silicon, Botoxed vain creature. I want to age naturally. If things start to sag, well BFD!



I'm scared that no one sees that I'm a good, kind person inside, and that's what true beauty is. That's important when you date people... this actually has been a huge issue in my past, I feel like. There's a girl inside. Get to know her, and not just carnally!

I'm scared that I'm not really beautiful inside and I'm just dull and boring, so when I get older I'll just be a non-attractive boring old... crone.



GAH! Insecurity! However, it helps to vent.

So! I have earned a large juicy hamburger with some chili cheese fries.

1 comments:

Jared said...

Fist off, you are and have always been beautiful inside and out, easy to get along with and talk to, great scene of humor and vary sweet. and I've probably not been the best at showing you that in the past or telling you, for that I’m sorry. But I’m vary glad your trying to gain weight! and not 100% brainwashed by the fashion world. I’m always fighting a up hill battle with my body to keep a healthy weight, and I know the weight thing is not the same for men as it is for women, but for me almost every woman I have dated has told me I’m "to skinny" "Twigging" "unhealthy looking" so I feel ya the weight thing. If you want to be healthy and gain some weight I got your back! I say go for it :D