Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History

Personal issues are put aside at this moment.

Tonight I have witnessed history. I have listened to a great man with a message that was so influential, so monumental... words can't describe it.

The moment didn't seem so important. There was a chicken burrito on the coffee table, beer bottles laying around, feet on the furniture. I wasn't in an auditorium, I wasn't with a huge party watching a large feed. It was just me and my roommate relaxing together after our stressful day. It may not seem glamorous, but when I look back and remember this moment I will be so grateful my roommate was there to share it with me. He may not know it, but I was glad--am glad-- a person like him was in my life.

We didn't even see it coming. We scanned the news stations trying to understand what was going on. And then there is was! No pomp, no fanfare... just the words "Obama wins the electoral vote." We weren't even sure it was true at that point!

His speech was just so eloquent and was it me or did it ring? I can only parallel it with MLK Jr.'s 'I Have A Dream' speech. Every word and nuance had a meaning and I felt it vibrate with importance. I had goosebumps!

Today had been very hard. I am going through sadness and a lot of anger. But tonight I find myself filled with hope after seeing his acceptance speech.

The problems I have are nothing facing Obama and our nation. This tough time will pass. I have had a shower of support from my friends and I will support my nation. I look forward to my future now. It is a future of uncertainty but I am looking forward to it. There certainly are no strings tied to me now. There can be more tough times, there may be more people that hurt me. But I have family that love me. I have friends that will get my back.

I'm ready now. I want to let go of this pain and get ready for the future. Little by little it has been happening.

Let's do this.

0 comments: